|The title page to"The historians history of the world"|
SIMILARITIES BETWEEN SOCIOLOGY AND HISTORY
Sociology is the study of society while history seeks to establish the squence in which events occurs in the past .Like historian sociologist are concerns with the relationship between events occuring more or less at the same time .In this context,history suplies the material for sociologu as well as sociology gives the social background for the study of historrry.It is further said that history would be meaningless without explaining sociallly significiant events.
Sociologist are most intrested in teh contemporary events and recent past which is also related with history.Thus, their mitual dependance upon eachother has lead G.E Howard to remarks that"history is the past of sociology and sociology is the present history."
|A depection of the ancient library of Alexandria|
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SOCIOLOGY AND HISTORY
Despite the similarities,there are some differences between sociology and history which are as follows:
- Sociology studies mainly contemporary events or resent past while history studies the past events.
- History is concrete and sociology is abstract.According to Park,"History is the concrete while sociology is the abstract science of human experiences and human nature."
- Sociology and history has different attitude.History has different attitude.History would deal events in all their aspects while sociology would study them from the view points of social relationship involved.
- Sociology is the generalizing science.It seeks to establish generalization after a careful study of social phenomena.History on other hand is an individualizing science.It seeks to establish the sequence in which events occur.
- The scope of sociology is wide while that of history is narrow.
- Sociology is capable of indicating future,while history only gives the actual account of the past.